Baked Macaroni and Cheese with Blue Cheese
Crumbled blue cheese and fresh chives give this dish a robust and flavorful contrast to the standard baked macaroni and cheese recipe
Recipe Serves 6 To 8
1 pound large elbow
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish.
2. Cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, drain.
3. Meanwhile, melt butter over medium-low heat, add flour, cook 1 minute, to make roux (do not brown).
4. Gradually whisk in milk and cream, simmer until mixture thickens slightly, whisking occasionally. Reduce heat to low, add grated cheddar cheese and 1 cup crumbled blue cheese, whisk thoroughly until cheeses are melted.
5. Add cooked pasta to sauce, stir to coat, transfer mixture to prepared baking dish, sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup blue cheese and bake until sauce begins to bubble, about 20 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with finely chopped fresh chives and serve.
Use 3 to 4
quarts of water per pound of pasta. Unsalted water will reach a boil faster than
salted water, so add salt to rapidly boiling water just before adding the pasta.
Use about 1 teaspoon salt for each quart of water.