Homestyle Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni with chunks of Cheddar cheese is baked until bubbling golden brown for a soothing and satisfying supper. Country style Dijon mustard and white pepper are blended with the cream cheese to form a thick sauce to coat the pasta.
Recipe Serves 6 To 8
uncooked dried elbow macaroni
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, melt 1/2 cup butter in 3-quart saucepan until sizzling; stir in flour. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth and bubbly (1 minute).
4. Add milk, cream cheese, mustard, salt and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened (3 to 4 minutes).
5. Stir in cooked macaroni and cheese. Spoon the mixture into ungreased 2-quart casserole.
6. Stir together all crumb topping ingredients, crumbs, melted butter and chopped fresh parsley in small bowl; sprinkle over macaroni and cheese.
7. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated through and golden brown.
Use 3 to 4
quarts of water per pound of pasta. Unsalted water will reach a boil faster than
salted water, so add salt to rapidly boiling water just before adding the pasta.
Use about 1 teaspoon salt for each quart of water.