White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
The sweet taste of plum tomatoes compliments the sharp taste of the white Cheddar cheese. The raw sugar and cayenne pepper add contrasting hints of flavor.
Recipe makes 6 To 8 servings
pound elbow macaroni
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions.
3. Combine milk and cream in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over moderate heat. While the milk and cream heats, melt the butter in another saucepan over low to medium heat until foaming.
4. Add the flour to the butter and cook, stirring for 3 minutes.
5. Pour the hot milk into the butter/flour mixture and cook, stirring with a wire whisk or wooden spoon for a few minutes, until thickened.
6. Add the cheese to the white sauce, about 1/4 cup at a time. Stirring until the cheese has melted and the sauce is smooth. Add the cayenne pepper, salt and white pepper to taste.
7. Stir the tomatoes and the sugar into the cheese sauce.
8. Combine the macaroni and cheese sauce and pour into a buttered casserole dish, Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until mixture is bubbly. Wait 5 minutes before serving.
Add 1/2 cup of sun dried tomatoes into the mixture during step 7 above. These bits of tomato will add piquant points of tomato flavor to this macaroni and cheese recipe.
Use 3 to 4
quarts of water per pound of pasta. Unsalted water will reach a boil faster than
salted water, so add salt to rapidly boiling water just before adding the pasta.
Use about 1 teaspoon salt for each quart of water.